Frequently Asked Questions Regarding the Transition Timeline for the Regents Examination in Global History and Geography
This memo is provided to help answer questions that have emerged concerning the transition timeline for the Regents Examination in Global History and Geography.
At the June, 2016 Board of Regents meeting, it was determined that the 2017–18 school year will be a transition year, giving educators across the State additional time to implement the new Social Studies Framework. During this transition time (June 2018–June 2020), the Regents Exam in Global History and Geography, based on the Social Studies Resource Guide and Core Curriculum, will maintain the current test design but will only measure content from approximately 1750 to present, reflecting the division articulated in the new Framework.
The NEW Regents Exam in Global History and Geography II, based on the NYS K–12 Social Studies Framework, is being developed for first administration in June 2019. Evidence-Centered Design (ECD) has been the foundation for the development of this new exam.
This page provides information about the draft prototype items for the Global History & Geography II exam. The prototype items were first unveiled at the NYS Council for the Social Studies convention in April 2016. This page contains:
- Four-part Video on Exam Design
The video is presented in four parts: an overview of the Framework and Evidence-Centered Design (ECD—the process used to create the prototype items), and an explanation for each of the three parts of the draft new exam, including sample prototype items.
- Draft Prototype Items in PDF
The prototype item document shows five sets of stimulus-based multiple-choice questions, three sets of short constructed-response questions, and one extended-essay task.
Videos: It is highly recommended that you watch the “Evidence-Centered Design” video before viewing the other videos.
- Evidence-Centered Design
- Part 1: Multiple-Choice Questions
- Part 2: Short Answer Constructed-Response Questions
- Part 3: Extended Essay Question (Updated May 2017)
The Office of State Assessment in collaboration with the Content Advisory Panel has prepared prototype items using the Evidence-Centered Design method. (see Downloadable Resources below)
- Draft Prototype Items for Global History and Geography II Regents Exam (pdf)
- Commissioner Elia’s Memo Concerning Global History and Geography Transition (pdf)
- Performance Level Descriptors (PLDs) for Global History and Geography II (pdf)
- Educator Guide to the Regents Examination in Global History and Geography II (Grade 10), First Administration, June 2019 (pdf)