Supporting Change in the Secondary Mathematics Classroom
Principals, Administrators, Network Teams
Sequence of Sessions
Overarching Objectives of this October 2014 Network Team Institute
- Participants will be able to identify, practice, and use best instructional moves and scaffolds for chosen common core standards.
High-Level Purpose of this Session
- Participants will examine the use of the Switch framework as a guide for achieving change in mathematics instruction.
- Participants will examine a protocol that teachers can use to develop a cycle of plan → teach → assess → analyze in order to develop extended interventions for students in grades 6-9.
Related Learning Experiences
- This session is part of a sequence of sessions designed for principals and other school leaders. Earlier sessions (available on EngageNY.org) have examined scaffolding to support student learning and the development of instant and extended interventions.
- The planning protocol described in this session is more fully illustrated and practiced in The Number System: Crafting Teaching Sequences for Extended Interventions for Grades 6-9, a related learning experiences for teachers.
Session 1: Collaborate and illuminate best practices for implementation of the math modules
Session 2: Guided practice to analyze student work from Grade 8, Module 7. Small group collaboration to develop teaching sequences for intervention
Session 3: Collaborate to refine plans for implementation of the math modules and to develop site-based strategic plans for professional development