The Unit 5 Big Book, entitled "Ox and Man," includes sentences, which is a big step in the acquisition of reading. As with all Big Books, the text in "Ox and Man" is completely decodable to students in Unit 5. By the end of this unit, students will use the Big Book to be able to:
1. Predict what they think the story will be about;
2. Listen to the teacher read the story aloud, and follow along in the text as s/he does so;
3. Read along with the teacher;
4. Recognize a sentence and sentence components: uppercase letters, periods, spaces between words, etc.; and
5. Answer comprehension questions based on the reading.