Strengthening Teacher and Leader Effectiveness
We know that New York State has some of the very best teachers and leaders in the nation. Our highest-performing districts and schools combine strong classroom instruction led by innovative principals with effective parent communication and a results-driven school culture. Great educators change lives. Our goal is to ensure that every year, every school has an effective leader and every classroom has an effective teacher so that every child can learn and achieve to his or her full potential. When our educators succeed, our students succeed, too.
Under the Strengthening Teacher and Leader Effectiveness (STLE) program, the state created an $83M competitive grant opportunity aimed at encouraging and supporting qualifying LEAs to take a comprehensive approach to recruit, develop, support, retain and increase equitable access to great teachers and leaders as part of their implementation of the Annual Professional Performance Review (APPR) system required by Education Law §3012-c. The STLE grant is part of the Board of Regents’ comprehensive statewide strategy to support the continuous improvement of every educator with special emphasis on supporting high-need students, improving learning of English language learners and students with disabilities, advancing student learning in STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics) disciplines, and improving the equitable distribution of highly effective teachers and leaders.
Across three grant cohorts, school districts and local unions collaborated to develop programs that focus on various elements of a strategically planned Teacher and Leader Effectiveness (TLE) continuum, including preparation, recruitment and placement, induction and mentoring, evaluation, ongoing professional development/professional growth, performance management and career ladders. STLE grantees are leveraging the power of the new evaluation system, not as an end in itself, but as a true vehicle for the improvement of effective educator practice and student learning.
The Teacher and Leader Effectiveness Continuum
Some of the initiatives outlined in awardees' plans include:
Map of Strengthening Teacher and Leader Effectiveness Grant Recipients
Engage-Envision-Elevate: From Initiatives to Systems
As we reflect on the past few years of the STLE grant, it is clear that we have collectively engaged in work that has challenged and enhanced our thinking and approaches. Most importantly, this work changed how we address the needs of our students and of our educators. The Office of Teacher and Leader Effectiveness strives to facilitate the creation of communities of practice, knowing that for many, the best way to address challenges is with the assistance of others engaged in similar work. To that end, this toolkit is a compilation of information, tools, and tips shared at the July 2014 Convening, “Engage-Envision-Elevate: From Initiatives to Systems”. This toolkit contains work from national experts, districts across the nation engaging in similar work, and most importantly tools and resources from our local districts.
Click here for a tutorial about the toolkit: Overview of the Engage-Envision-Elevate: From Initiatives to Systems Toolkit
Click here for the complete toolkit: Engage-Envision-Elevate: From Initiatives to Systems
- Developing Sustainable Career Pathways and Leadership Roles
- Systems Thinking and Evolution of Practice
- Peer Observation: Approaches and Design Considerations
- Enhancing Family and Community Engagement
- Transformational Collaboration: Systemic Commitment to Professional Learning Communities
- Force Field Analysis
Engage-Envision-Elevate: From Initiatives to Systems Convening Presentations
Videos and slide decks from the presentations that were used at the July 2014 Engage-Envision-Elevate: From Initiatives to Systems conference.
Engage-Envision-Elevate: From Initiatives to Systems Convening Video Clip
A video clip from Commissioner King's Keynote Address, Thursday, July 24
Reflections from the Engage-Envision-Elevate Convening: From Initiatives to Systems Convening
Educators talk about the value of the discussion, tools, and resources provided on July 24-25 as they transition from initiatives to strategic systemic work.
Improving Practice Video Spotlights
- STLE Grants Helping to Expand STEM Education across Districts
Watch how two districts are using Strengthening Teacher and Leader Effectiveness Grant Funds to Expand Science, Engineering, Math and Technology (STEM) Education across their districts.
- Video: Perspectives from STLE Grantees: What Is a Teacher Leader?
Watch and listen to see how educators across New York State define teacher leadership.
Video Collection: The Development of Career Pathways in the Greece Central School District
School leaders and educators from the Greece Central School District share the specific objectives they set out to reach with Career Pathways, supported by an STLE grant. They outline their team approach, design thinking and future of innovation. They also describe the journey of challenges, messaging, turning points, and above all - the conviction that this work is a long-term commitment, not a token effort.
Article: New York Puts Spotlight on Teachers Engaging Parents
In a recent USDE article, South Huntington School District, an STLE 1 and STLE 2 grantee, has been highlighted for their continued work on successfully using Teacher and Principal Leaders to engage families as authentic partners in their child’s education. The focus of their family engagement effort is to help parents understand New York’s new college- and career-ready standards, as well as to help families support their children’s learning and build understanding about the district’s transition to the Common Core State Standards.
Video: "Focus Walks" Foster Professional Growth in Huntington
Watch how one school district is successfully using "Focus Walks" to collect data, analyze educator needs, and drive professional development offerings.
Video: Family Engagement in South Huntington
Watch how one school district is successfully using Teacher and Principal Leaders to engage families as partners in education through a New York State Education Department grant.
Video from Fort Ann District
Watch how one school district is successfully developing and supporting effective teachers and school leaders through the Strengthening Teacher and Leader Effectiveness program.
- Strengthening Teacher and Leader Effectiveness (STLE) Presentation to the Board of Regents
- Update on Strengthening Teacher and Leader Effectiveness (STLE) Grant Program
- Webinar: Designing Career Ladder Programs for Teachers and Principals
- Communication Plans
- Mentoring Standards
- RFP 1: Strengthening Teacher and Leader Effectiveness 1: Teacher and Principal Leadership (GT-16)
- RFP 2: Strengthening Teacher and Leader Effectiveness 2: Teacher and Principal Leadership (GT-22)
- RFP 3: Strengthening Teacher and Leader Effectiveness 3: Teacher and Principal Leadership (GT-23)
- RFP 4: Strengthening Teacher and Leader Effectiveness Dissemination Grant: Principal Leadership (GT-24)
- Leading APPR
- APPR Planning
- Student Learning Objectives
- State Growth Measures
In the News
- Developing better school administrators with LIFTS, February 26, 2015 (North Tonawanda CSD)
- To Drive Student Success, Cultivate Teacher Leaders, February 9, 2015 (New York State School Boards Association)
- Working with coaches, STLE2 grant novice groups develop leadership capacity, February 2, 2015 (Capital Region BOCES, Berne-Knox-Westerlo CSD, Cobleskill-Richmondville CSD, Cohoes City SD, Green Island UFSD, Ravena-Coeymans-Selkirk CSD, Schoharie CSD and Sharon Springs CSD)
- STLE-D grant work gets underway at Capital Region BOCES, January 29, 2015 (Capital Region BOCES, Burnt Hills-Ballston Lake CSD, Central Valley SD, Cohoes City SD, Duanesburg CSD, Guilderland CSD, Herkimer CSD, Middleburgh CSD, Mohonasen CSD, Mount Markham CSD, Niskayuna CSD, Owen D. Young SD, Richfield Springs SD, Schalmont CSD, Scotia-Glenville CSD, Shenendehowa CSD, South Colonie CSD and Voorheesville CSD)
- Madison-Oneida BOCES holds workshop for educators, January 25, 2015 (Canastota, Morrisville-Eaton, Vernon-Verona-Sherrill, Stockbridge Valley, Madison, Oneida, Rome, and Camden)
- Professional and Lead group attends dynamic workshop, January 21, 2015 ( Capital Region BOCES)
- Teacher team leaders at Jordan-Elbridge focus on improving student achievement- December 2014 (Jordan-Elbridge)
- Administrators Present their Faculty Meeting Model at National Conference, December 2014 (Tonawanda)
- District leadership proves to be effective in North Tonawanda – December 15, 2014 (North Tonawanda City SD)
- BOCES receives professional development grant – November 6, 2014 (Madison-Oneida BOCES, Canastota CSD, Hamilton CSD, Madison CSD, Morrisville-Eaton CSD, Oneida CSD, Rome CSD, Stockbridge Valley CSD and Vernon-Verona-Sherril CSD)
- Symposium addresses poverty and its effects on students’ ability to learn – November 4, 2014 (Capital Region BOCES)
- BOCES receives grant funding to provide principal professional development – October 30, 2014 (St. Lawrence-Lewis BOCES)
- Ossining schools in line for $558,500 state leadership grant – October 27, 2014 (Ossining School District)
- Local School Districts Get State Grant October 24, 2014 (Greece, Rochester, Palmyra Macedon)
- Maryvale, Depew and Clarence win State Ed grant for teaching, leadership training – October 21, 2014 (Maryvale Union Free School District, Depew Union Free School District and Clarence Central School District)
- Strengthening Teacher and Leader Effectiveness Grant boosts Fulton City School District – September 25, 2014 (Fulton City)
- Videos Highlight Greece Educators on the Job – July 29, 2014 (Greece Central School District)
- New York Puts Spotlight on Teachers Engaging Parents – July 2014 (South Huntington School District)
- Pace and Ossining schools partner in teacher training – June 17, 2014 (Ossining School District)
- Pace University Partners with Ossining Schools to Strengthen Teacher Effectiveness, Student Learning – June 3, 2014 (Ossining School District)
- Schools seeking to share curriculum specialist to aid teachers – May 23, 2014 (Fort Ann, Argyle, Hartford, Hudson Falls and Granville)
- NECSD Receives Strengthening Teacher and Leader Effectiveness Program Grant – May 7, 2014 (Newburgh Enlarged City School District)
- SUNY Plattsburgh at Queensbury Teams Up with Local School Districts to Build Leaders – April 2014 (Fort Ann, Cambridge, Warrensburg, Broadalbin Perth)
- Strengthening Teacher and Leader Effectiveness (STLE) Grant – April 12, 2014 (Lockport City Schools)
- Grant-provided iPads help teachers obtain professional development – April 11, 2014 (Herkimer-Fulton-Hamilton-Otsego BOCES)
- STLE 3 Grant – “Growing Our Own” – April 11, 2014 (Watertown City School District)
- Grant-provided iPads help teachers obtain professional development – April 11, 2014 (Herkimer-Fulton-Hamilton-Otsego BOCES, Central Valley and Herkimer Central School Districts)
- Education Commissioner Meets Parents and Students at Greece Odyssey – April 9, 2014 (Greece Central School District)
- FCSD Receives Strengthening Teacher Leader Effectiveness Grant – April 9, 2014 (Fulton City School District)
- Greece, New York - Districtwide Leadership Development Program Highlighted by State – April 2, 2014 (Greece Central School District)
- Grant expected to give Hannibal schools a boost – April 2, 2014 (Oswego County BOCES, Hannibal Central School District)
- STLE3 Grant Awarded to Johnstown – April 1, 2014 (Greater Johnstown School District)