READING INFORMATIONAL TEXT FOR DETAILS: MEG’S RAINFOREST EXPERIMENT (PAGES 17-20)
- In advance: View and become familiar with the video used in the Engaging the Reader segment of this lesson. Prepare technology in advance to play the video for students.
- The video is about French researchers studying the rainforest. It is shown for two purposes: to continue to build students’ background knowledge and interest about the rainforest, and also to help students think about HOW rainforest scientists conduct experiments.
- Read and become familiar with Meg Lowman’s process for conducting an experiment. (Pages 17–20).
- Have music ready for the Milling to Music activity in Work Time B.
- Review: Quiz-Quiz-Trade in Vocabulary Strategies (Appendix 1)
- Review Milling to Music (Appendix 1)
- Students likely can figure out many of the Quiz-Quiz-Trade vocabulary words in context. Encourage this. The Quiz-Quiz-Trade cards are prepared in advance to save time in the lesson.