The New York State Education Department believes that effective assessment practices in the classroom lead to more accurate measures of student knowledge / skills and better understanding of next steps in instruction. This initiative aims to increase educators’ fluency in assessment, helping them to use varied types of assessment in their everyday work. The goal is to provide educators with the tools that they will need to create and use effective assessment strategies to improve their own practice and the experiences of their students.
Assessment Fluency is present when a person understands and uses the principles of effective assessment practice, with the ultimate goal of improving teaching and learning, in an educational context.
The purpose of this initiative is to:
- Define common assessment terms
- Identify principles of effective assessment practice
- Share resources for teachers
- Share resources for administrators
- Share resources for parents and community members
Visitors who engage with Assessment 101 will better understand how well-designed assessments can help students continuously grow and achieve success toward college and career readiness.
- Glossary of assessment terms
- User survey
- NYS listserv for Assessment Literacy
Please follow the directions to subscribe to the listserv:
- Send an e-mail message to LISTSERV@LISTSERV.NYSED.GOV
- The body of the message must read: SUBSCRIBE ASSESS101 <Your Name>
Example: SUBSCRIBE ASSESS101 John Smith
- Your request will be forwarded to the list owner for approval
- A final confirmation message will be returned to you