- Students construct a dot plot from a data set.
- Students calculate the mean of a data set and the median of a data set.
- Students observe and describe that measures of center (mean and median) are nearly the same for distributions that are nearly symmetrical.
- Students observe and explain why the mean and median are different for distributions that are skewed.
- Students select the mean as an appropriate description of center for a symmetrical distribution and the median as a better description of center for a distribution that is skewed.