Search Within Results
Common Core: Math
CCLS - Math: 2.NBT.7
- Number And Operations In Base Ten
- Use Place Value Understanding And Properties Of Operations To Add And Subtract.
- State Standard:
- Add and subtract within 1000, using concrete models or drawings and strategies based on place value, properties of operations, and/or the relationship between addition and subtraction; relate the strategy to a written method. Understand that in adding or subtracting three- digit numbers, one adds or subtracts hundreds and hundreds, tens and tens, ones and ones; and sometimes it is necessary to compose or decompose tens or hundreds.
- In Topic B, students apply their understanding of place value strategies to the addition algorithm, moving from horizontal to vertical notation. Their understanding of vertical addition starts with...
- Topic C parallels Topic B, as students apply their understanding of place value strategies to the subtraction algorithm, moving from concrete to pictorial to abstract. It is important to note that...
- In Lesson 17 of Topic D, students extend the base ten understanding developed in Topic A to numbers within 200. Having worked with manipulatives to compose 10 ones as 1 ten, students relate this to...
- Topic E begins with an extension of mental math strategies learned in first grade, when students learned to subtract from the ten by using number bonds. In Lesson 23, they return to this strategy to...
- Module 4 culminates with Topic F, in which students think about and discuss the multiple strategies they have learned to represent and solve addition and subtraction problems. They share their...
- In Topic A, students practice the simplifying strategies they learned in Module 4, but with numbers up to 1,000. They will be asked to consider which strategy is most efficient for each problem they...
- Topic B in Module 5 is analogous to Topic B in Module 4, but while in Module 4 students composed ones and tens within 200, Module 5 expands upon this, finding students composing tens and hundreds...
- Topic C builds upon Module 4’s groundwork, now decomposing tens and hundreds within 1,000 (2.NBT.7). In Lesson 13, students model decompositions with number disks on their place value charts while...
- -Links to: G3–M2 Place Value and Problem Solving with Units of Measure Topic D focuses on the application of the tools and concepts presented in Topics A through C. Students synthesize their...