Search Within Results
Common Core: ELA
CCLS - ELA: W.4.3.a
- Text Types and Purposes
- State Standard:
- Orient the reader by establishing a situation and introducing a narrator and/or characters; organize an event sequence that unfolds naturally.
- In this unit, students apply the research they have completed (in Unit 2) about their expert animal and its defense mechanisms in order to write a narrative about their animal. Students will write a...
- In this lesson, students record notes for their ideas for dialogue in Work Times A and B. In Work Time C and D, they add the dialogue using correct conventions.
- This assessment is broken into two parts, to help pace students. Both parts occur during this lesson. The first part is the planning of narrative introductions and the second part is the drafting of...
- This lesson uses the terms introduction and beginning interchangeably. This is intentional. This will help students to make meaning of the academic vocabulary word introduction and become used to...
- This lesson follows a similar flow to Lesson 4; students review the characteristics and organization of narratives and then plan their own narratives using the Narrative Planning graphic organizer....
- In this lesson, students reread “Powerful Polly” and study it as a mentor text: as an example of a choose-your-own-adventure narrative that students can use as a model as they write their own...
- In the opening of the lesson, students celebrate their hard work writing informative texts by sharing and reflecting in small groups on their informative page for the performance task (completed in...
- In this eight-week module, students explore animal defense mechanisms. They build proficiency in writing an informative piece, examining the defense mechanisms of one specific animal about which they...
- Mid-Unit 3 Assessment: Drafting a Historical Fiction Narrative based on Expert Trades In this assessment student write a draft of a historical fiction narratives based on their planning in the...
- Planning a Historical Fiction Narrative Based on Expert Trades In this lesson students plan their own historical fiction narratives based on their research about their selected colonial trade from...
- Drafting a Historical Fiction Narrative: The Wheelwright In this lesson students continue their shared writing as a class to learn how to write a historical fiction narrative by drafting a narrative...
- Practice Planning a Historical Narrative: The Wheelwright In this lesson students learn to plan a historical fiction narrative as a class through a shared writing experience with the wheelwright.
- Planning Ideas: Developing a Colonial Character Profile In this lesson students use their research from Units 1 and 2 to create a character profile for their performance task narrative.