Search Within Results
Common Core: Standard
Common Core: ELA
Common Core: Math
CCLS - ELA: SL.9-10.1.d
- Speaking & Listening
- Comprehension and Collaboration
- State Standard:
- Respond thoughtfully to diverse perspectives, summarize points of agreement and disagreement, and, when warranted, qualify or justify their own views and understanding and make new connections in light of the evidence and reasoning presented.
- In this unit, students read Martin Luther King’s “Letter From A Birmingham Jail” alongside three short poems, focusing on how King develops his argument for direct action on civil rights. Students...
- In this unit, students engage with Julia Alvarez’s autobiographical essay, “A Genetics of Justice,” continuing to build skills for close reading and analysis as well developing their understanding of...
- In this unit, students encounter three documents focusing on human rights: The Universal Declaration of Human Rights, adopted by the United Nations in 1948; Eleanor Roosevelt’s “On the Adoption of...
- Students read E. B. White’s personal essay “Death of a Pig.” Students analyze how White unfolds and draws connections between key events and ideas in the text while developing and refining his...
- Students develop these close reading skills as they examine Shakespeare’s Macbeth. They also continue to develop their oral presentation and argument writing skills through a series of activities...
- Students read excerpts from Niccolò Machiavelli’s political treatise, The Prince. Students use the skills, practices, and routines that they have developed throughout the year to identify central...