Search Within Results
Common Core: ELA
CCLS - ELA: SL.9-10.1.b
- Speaking & Listening
- Comprehension and Collaboration
- State Standard:
- Work with peers to set rules for collegial discussions and decision-making (e.g., informal consensus, taking votes on key issues, presentation of alternate views), clear goals and deadlines, and individual roles as needed.
- In this lesson, students read paragraphs 3–9 of Roosevelt’s speech, participating in an evidence-based jigsaw discussion to analyze how Roosevelt develops and refines her claim that the United...
- Students view and analyze the 2011 Royal Shakespeare Company (RSC) production of Macbeth (00:00-14:55) in order to compare the film version of Acts 1.1 through 1.3 to the original text.
- Students read and analyze Macbeth, Act 5.7 and 5.8, in which Macbeth engages in battle with Malcolm and his thanes and is defeated and killed by Macduff, who, Macbeth learns, was not born of woman...
- Students use choral reading techniques to interpret self-selected scenes from Shakespeare’s Macbeth.
- Students analyze the third section of E. B. White’s “Death of a Pig,” in which White moves between ruminating on the deterioration of his pig and his own state of mind and recounting a humorous...
- Students view and analyze Throne of Blood, Akira Kurosawa’s 1957 film adaptation of Macbeth, in order to compare Kurosawa’s presentation of the opening scenes (the first 20:09 minutes of the film) to...
- Students read and analyze Macbeth Act 5.2 and 5.3, in which the thanes desert Macbeth, who seeks assurances in the Witches’ prophecy and who receives updates from the Doctor on Lady Macbeth’s illness...
- In this optional lesson students present their arguments from the previous lesson as oral presentations to small groups of peers.
- In this lesson, students read and analyze paragraphs 20–22 of “A Genetics of Justice, in which Alvarez elaborates on her description of her mother’s enduring terror of the Trujillo regime and the “...