Search Within Results
Common Core: ELA
CCLS - ELA: SL.9-10.1.b
- Speaking & Listening
- Comprehension and Collaboration
- State Standard:
- Work with peers to set rules for collegial discussions and decision-making (e.g., informal consensus, taking votes on key issues, presentation of alternate views), clear goals and deadlines, and individual roles as needed.
- Students read and analyze Macbeth Act 5.2 and 5.3, in which the thanes desert Macbeth, who seeks assurances in the Witches’ prophecy and who receives updates from the Doctor on Lady Macbeth’s illness...
- Students read and analyze Macbeth, Act 5.7 and 5.8, in which Macbeth engages in battle with Malcolm and his thanes and is defeated and killed by Macduff, who, Macbeth learns, was not born of woman...
- Students use choral reading techniques to interpret self-selected scenes from Shakespeare’s Macbeth.
- In this optional lesson students present their arguments from the previous lesson as oral presentations to small groups of peers.
- Students view and analyze Throne of Blood, Akira Kurosawa’s 1957 film adaptation of Macbeth, in order to compare Kurosawa’s presentation of the opening scenes (the first 20:09 minutes of the film) to...
- Students view and analyze the 2011 Royal Shakespeare Company (RSC) production of Macbeth (00:00-14:55) in order to compare the film version of Acts 1.1 through 1.3 to the original text.
- Students read excerpts from Niccolò Machiavelli’s political treatise, The Prince. Students use the skills, practices, and routines that they have developed throughout the year to identify central...
- Students read the final three paragraphs of Chapter 18 of The Prince. Students collaboratively identify quotes to analyze how specific phrases refine and develop claims and central ideas that are...
- Students work in small groups to consider whether or not Machiavelli would deem the fictional character of Macbeth a successful prince. After providing evidence and reasoning to support their...