Search Within Results
Common Core: ELA
CCLS - ELA: SL.9-10.1.b
- Speaking & Listening
- Comprehension and Collaboration
- State Standard:
- Work with peers to set rules for collegial discussions and decision-making (e.g., informal consensus, taking votes on key issues, presentation of alternate views), clear goals and deadlines, and individual roles as needed.
- Students read excerpts from Niccolò Machiavelli’s political treatise, The Prince. Students use the skills, practices, and routines that they have developed throughout the year to identify central...
- Students develop these close reading skills as they examine Shakespeare’s Macbeth. They also continue to develop their oral presentation and argument writing skills through a series of activities...
- Students read E. B. White’s personal essay “Death of a Pig.” Students analyze how White unfolds and draws connections between key events and ideas in the text while developing and refining his...
- In this unit, students encounter three documents focusing on human rights: The Universal Declaration of Human Rights, adopted by the United Nations in 1948; Eleanor Roosevelt’s “On the Adoption of...
- In this unit, students engage with Julia Alvarez’s autobiographical essay, “A Genetics of Justice,” continuing to build skills for close reading and analysis as well developing their understanding of...
- In this unit, students read Martin Luther King’s “Letter From A Birmingham Jail” alongside three short poems, focusing on how King develops his argument for direct action on civil rights. Students...
- In Unit 9.2.2, students read the Greek tragedy Oedipus the King. The longest text in the module, Oedipus the King allows students to analyze how multiple central ideas are developed and refined...
- In this unit, students continue to develop habits and skills related to close reading, annotation, using evidence, building vocabulary, and participating in structured discussion, and they do so with...
- In this unit, students will be introduced to skills, practices, and routines that will be used on a regular basis in the ELA classroom throughout the year: close reading, annotating text,...