Search Within Results
Common Core: ELA
CCLS - ELA: RL.9-10.9
- Reading Literature
- Integration of Knowledge and Ideas
- State Standard:
- Analyze how an author draws on and transforms source material in a specific work (e.g., how Shakespeare treats a theme or topic from Ovid or the Bible or how a later author draws on a play by Shakespeare).
- Students view and analyze the 2011 Royal Shakespeare Company (RSC) production of Macbeth (00:00-14:55) in order to compare the film version of Acts 1.1 through 1.3 to the original text.
- Students develop these close reading skills as they examine Shakespeare’s Macbeth. They also continue to develop their oral presentation and argument writing skills through a series of activities...
- In this module, students read, discuss, and analyze nonfiction and dramatic texts, focusing on how the authors convey and develop central ideas concerning imbalance, disorder, tragedy, mortality, and...
- In this lesson, students participate in a collaborative brainstorm in preparation for their independent written response, practicing the speaking and listening skills they acquired in this unit....
- "In this lesson, students collect and analyze evidence from each of the three poems in this unit. Students work in groups to complete an Evidence Collection Tool in order to gather evidence about how...
- "In this lesson, students analyze William Carlos Williams’s poem “Raleigh Was Right” and explore how this contemporary voice transforms the conversation begun by Marlowe and Raleigh. Students...
- "In this lesson, students explore how Raleigh draws upon and transforms Marlowe’s poem through explicit comparison of the two texts. Students’ analysis focuses on structural choices, to develop an...
- In the first unit of Module 1, students are introduced to many of the foundational skills, practices, and routines that they build upon and strengthen throughout the unit: close reading, annotating...
- In this unit, students will continue to practice and refine routines such as close reading, annotation, identification of evidence, and participation in collaborative discussions. Students will study...
- In Module 10.1, students engage with literature and nonfiction texts and explore how complex characters develop through their interactions with each other, and how these interactions develop central...
- Overview The Researching to Deepen Understanding units lay out an inquiry process through which students learn how to deepen their understanding of topics. Students pose and refine inquiry questions...