Grade 5 Mathematics
The focus areas of Grade 5 modules address:
Number and Operations in Base Ten
- Understand the place value system.
- Perform operations with multi‐digit whole numbers and with decimals to hundredths.
Number and Operations – Fractions
- Use equivalent fractions as a strategy to add and subtract fractions.
- Apply and extend previous understandings of multiplication and division to multiply and divide fractions.
Measurement and Data
- Geometric measurement: understand concepts of volume and relate volume to multiplication and to addition.
Each curriculum module will consist of a high-level outline (curriculum map and module overview/assessment bundle) for instruction and a set of curriculum materials following that outline – including topic overviews, daily lesson plans, extensive problem sets, guiding questions, examples of proficient student work, and other materials. Curriculum modules are high-quality sets of materials for major, supporting and additional clusters in each grade and high school course, developed coherently with attention to progressions in the NYS P-12 CCLS for Mathematics.
The number of modules (between 4-7 per grade) and the time required (between 10 days to 45 days per module) will depend on the scope and difficulty of the mathematical content that is the focus of the module.