Grade 5 ELA Module 2A, Unit 2, Lesson 4
CLOSE READ: BLUE CREEK, A RAINFOREST IN BELIZE (PAGE 12)
- In advance: Read and become familiar with page 12 of The Most Beautiful Roof in the World and the Text-Dependent Questions for this text selection (see supporting materials).
- Consider writing the vocabulary words on a large piece of chart paper ahead of time in order to save time during the lesson.
- Review: Chalk Talk and Thumb-O-Meter protocols (Appendix 1)
- Students begin an AQUA anchor chart in this lesson. This is similar to a KWL, with the added component of thinking about the actions students would take now that they have a new understanding. It will be used to capture students thinking about biodiversity of rainforests throughout the unit. As with the KWL notes students began in Lesson 1, students will rely on their AQUA notes for their end of unit assessment. Throughout the unit, reinforce the importance of taking good notes.
- Following this lesson, students will have several homework tasks to do for homework. Call students’ attention to this and remind them that these tasks are routine and not time intensive.