Grade 1 Mathematics
The focus areas of Grade 1 modules address:
Operations and Algebraic Thinking
- Represent and solve problems involving addition and subtraction.
- Understand and apply properties of operations and the relationship between addition and subtraction.
- Add and subtract within 20.
- Work with addition and subtraction equations.
Number and Operations in Base Ten
- Extend the counting sequence.
- Understand place value.
- Use place value understanding and properties of operations to add and subtract
Measurement and Data
- Measure lengths indirectly and by iterating length units.
Each curriculum module will consist of a high-level outline (curriculum map and module overview/assessment bundle) for instruction and a set of curriculum materials following that outline – including topic overviews, daily lesson plans, extensive problem sets, guiding questions, examples of proficient student work, and other materials. Curriculum modules are high-quality sets of materials for major, supporting and additional clusters in each grade and high school course, developed coherently with attention to progressions in the NYS P-12 CCLS for Mathematics.
The number of modules (between 4-7 per grade) and the time required (between 10 days to 45 days per module) will depend on the scope and difficulty of the mathematical content that is the focus of the module.